Monday, July 12, 2010

10 Miles....no, no just 9 (pancakes still were needed) :)

This past weekend our TFK team (DONATE DONATE DONATE http://www.runwithtfk.org/Member/PublicPage/74) went up to Van Cortland park in the Bronx. I remember this run from last year and it was amazing. Thinking back I was so excited about the run, the hills were tough but it was such a great run and its a lot of fun to get out of the Central Park every now and again. We arrived via Blondie's chariot the train ride alone is reason not to make the trip out there but after each run we get Carrot Cake so totally makes it worth the trip.

Yummy right?

Any who we arrived just in time with Vane, LD and Mags we warmed up and split up into our groups. Vane, Mags and I were in the 9:30 to 10:30 group and Blondie and LD went to the 8:30 group (yes, they are a lot faster).

As we started Mags, Vane and I felt great. It was super humid and as we started off on the back trails I felt the sweat in places I didn't think I could sweat. But I was prepared and ready to go. I think that I start to block out bad memories because man were those hills a lot harder than I thought. The hills were a total of 3.1 miles long and these were a lot harder this time around. I have to remember that I do NOT like running in this heat. It wears me down both physically and mentally on this past run I kept telling myself "you can do this keep going". Which I did, I did it at my own pace it was so humid that I didn't want to push it so hard I would pass out...ok that might be a little dramatic..lol. Once the hills were done we had another 6 miles to go but this was on flat land and I was looking forward to that as we ran to get some water our coaches said not to do 10 miles only 8 it was too hot. i thought to myself "they are right, but lets see what my body can do".
I ran and I was feeling good when I got to the where Coach B was I took my GU and asked him if I should keep going, he said "do what your body tells you, do 9". So I did I ran a to the 9 mile marker and I was feeling great. I had a bottle of water in my hand which I kept throwing on my head and chest to keep cool. As I turned around running alone it was nice. Although I love running with Vane sometimes it nice to run alone and take it all in. I paid close attention to my body, breathing and form which I have realized I have the marathon shuffle..workin on it workin on it. This is what I see when I run in Van Cortland

Let me know if you ever want to run up there..happy to take any virgin's :)...lol.

As I was running I saw Coach Sid, who told me that my partner in crime got hurt...she is suppose to update her blog so make sure you bug her so she will send her a note @ http://vanerunsnyc.blogspot.com/

Till next time..or a funny life experience happens...keep it moving.
<3 MM

No comments:

Post a Comment