Friday, October 1, 2010

Run when smiling :)

As much as I want you to be over, I really don't want November to come.

As much as I want to stop running... I actually don't. I am finally starting to remember why I love this sport so much.

As much as I want Nov 7th to come and go, in reality I don't. I don't want this day to come because I wait for it for 11 months and in a couple of hours its over just like that.


Last year, Nov 1st, was an amazing day for me. My mommy was here to see me run the NYC Marathon. Lissy and the Buddha surprised the heck out of me at George's thanks to B Aponte (they made me cry). I had the most amazing time training for this run. Gina my Awesome big trooped it out to Brooklyn from Long Island on Marathon Sunday (peeps from NY do not do that) with my two little nephews. Having my girls MT, Tiff and of course my Kermit all over the city with my mom cheering for me, running up and down stairs taking train after train to try to catch me in Brooklyn, they missed me at mile 18 (they were eating so i guess that's ok...lol) but they finally caught me at mile 23...I will never, ever be able to thank you for all you ladies did. Having Krystal run with me at mile 22 was great and can we talk about my AMAZING posters?? My sisters, my friends and my mom were here to watch me run the most amazing race ever! Friends, family and NYC I will never, ever be able to tell you how much you meant to me on that day.


I love to run, I do.Yes, my body is tired, but I this is what I love to do. I love going on a long run, either alone or with Vane and company. I love the way I feel after a long run with the sweat dripping down my face, having my tired body screaming THANK YOU, I needed that. The love I have for the sport of running is something that I cannot explain unless you are a runner. There is an instant gratification you get from putting on your sneakers and heading out for a 6 to 20 mile run. The twitch in your leg that is telling you, oh maybe you went too far but then your heart screams: Nope! You're good, keep your head up and keep going... you got this. I love to run. I love the feeling of euphoria I get when I go a little faster or run a little longer than I have. This sport is amazing and I am glad that I have fallen back in love with it.

And the Marathon.... well, that my friends, is a whole other level of euphoria that unless you have run the NYC Marathon, I cannot even get you to that level.

I love the friendships I have made over a year. I cannot imagine my life without any of my TFK peeps in my life today.

This past year I have questioned myself. I have doubted myself... but I have to remember the important things. This is my FAVORITE run ever!! Why have I been doubting myself? I mean I am not winning the marathon, I will leave that to the pro's like Meb or Haile. I need to remember how much fun I had last year and go with it. I need to remember those amazing Asics ad's that I loved....Hello NY, Goodbye Old Me. Hello Queens, Goodbye Doubt! Where is Miss Marathon Madrigal?? I am not sure, but all I need to know is that on Nov 7th she better show up! Actually, I am going to give her till Saturday when TFK will be running Greta's Gallop, a lovely Half marathon in Central Park, which means Harlem Hills twice. I can do this. I know I can, and I will. I need to stop with the self doubt and just enjoy the one thing I love, and I mean LOVE to do....run!

And now as I do it all over again, I cannot tell you how excited I am. Nothing will ever compare to last year because being a Marathon Virgin and debuting in New York is something like flying your first flight in first class premier, or eating the most amazing food ever for the first time. I truly cannot explain to you how amazing this race is. I know now that this year's marathon will be amazing. I am going to stop trying to compare it to last years because it will never compete and that's ok. This training season was a tough one on me, but I know that I am going to have an amazing run and it will be awesome!! I will smile more and think less, I will run with my heart and not worry about my legs or feet, I will let the great people of NYC carry me from Staten Island to Brooklyn to Queens over the 59th street Bridge up to the Bronx into Harlem and back to my home turf Central Park. No matter what the clock says on Nov 7th, I know that as long as I cross that finish line with a smile on my face, that is all that is going to matter, because this is an Empire State of Mind.



Thank you to my coaches who without them I would not be here! Coach B, Niel, Sid, Asteria and Skinny Vinny!

No comments:

Post a Comment