Tuesday, October 20, 2009

TFK's Last Long Run

This past Saturday was our last long run. We did 11 miles all on the Bridal Path in Central Park. It was a cold day but I had to run in shorts because that is what I am running the marathon in, so I wanted to get used to feeling the cold.

My running partner Melissa was there and we started with Coach Sid's group. We ran with his group because we love him. He is such an inspiration. I still cannot believe that he is 72 years old and he is in such wonderful shape and can beat us all in a long run or a sprint.

It was about 8:00 a.m. when my group started out, and as we ran up to Tavern on the Green we saw the set up….the set up for the Marathon. OMG it is really happing! I was so excited to see the stands and the trailers that were there all in preparation for our big day!

As we ran, Melissa and I couldn’t help but laugh because we both couldn’t believe that this run was only 11 miles…I say this because I remember when 6 miles was a long run. As we continued and made our laps around the Bridal Path and then two more laps on the reservoir, it hit me….this is our last long run.

No more getting up early on Saturdays. No more "guilt-free brunches" after our run. This was it. We only had the marathon to go. As I did my final lap and then saw our coaches, I was a little sad. The marathon was a goal for me. It was a way for me to lose weight and at the same time reach a goal. Now I feel that after November 1st I might lose touch with people that I now consider as close as family. I have learned so much from so many people on the team and in a way, I don’t want the training to end. I have a list of memories that I have from some of my teammates and coaches:
Coach Sid: "All for one and one for all", you have made my marathon training awesome thank you for everything.
Coach Brian: Thanks for pushing us to be faster, taking random pictures of us running and of course, encouraging us to do more marathons.
TFK staff: Thank you, thank you for always watching our stuff and bringing us water/Gatorade. Eric,Michael, Glen and of course Frank - thank you, thank you!

Our Friday Night Dinner & Saturday Brunch crew: We have shared a lot over the last five months and I have loved every minute of it! I cant wait to see where this experience takes us. I know for some we are already on our way to Paris.

Thank you, thank you for everything. I cherish each and every one of you.

To all my friends that have supported me throughout these five months that I have been MIA, you are all amazing. My true friends have stuck around and I appreciate you putting up with me and my never ending talks about the marathon. I am so excited about marathon Sunday and now with only 11 days to go…. I can't wait!!!
MM

No comments:

Post a Comment